This is the first new project in quite a while. I'm making this quilt for a friend who lost her home in a fire last year. The pattern is based on an antique quilt shown in the February 2013 issue of American Patchwork and Quilting. The original quilt was done in yellow and white. When I look at the photos, I see overlapping squares. I never do anything the easy way so I'll be making each square with different fabric.
I haven't posted in a while. July through September is the busiest time of the year at my day job so I haven't been doing much quilting. I did finish this one though. It's a gift for my mother-in-law's sister, who celebrates her 90th birthday this month. I finished the blocks and put them together at the Ranch Hand's quilt retreat two weeks ago. The pattern is called Patches and Pinwheels and is from Bonnie Hunter's website, www.quiltville.com. Here a link to it.
And a closeup, to show the wonderful striped binding fabric I found for it.
I used wool batting and quilted it with Superior Omni thread in a pattern called Verdant. I have fallen in love with wool batting! I don't know how it's processed but it doesn't felt or beard. It's also light and fluffy, much lighter then cotton, which is great for large quilts.
I had a lot of big things happen in my life this summer, some great, some not so great. I cut my finger pretty bad with a rotary cutter, entered a quilt in my local fair and won Best of Show (large quilts), was in a car accident, my daughter got engaged, my dogs got skunked, and I went to Oregon to take a class with Bonnie Hunter! I will post more details later but I'll say now that my finger healed and I wasn't seriously injured in the accident.
I haven't posted in a few weeks as there has been nothing new on the wall. I have been working on finishing quilts to show at the local fair which starts Wednesday. Last week I decided to take this week off and work on finishing some projects and cleaning up my quilt studio. It's so messy and distracting I can't concentrate on anything!
The first thing I worked on was finishing the Funky Wrench quilt. I first blogged about it here. I counted up all my cut pieces and realised I could make one large quilt or three baby quilts. The fabric seems better suited for baby quilts so this is the third and last pictured.
I really like this pattern but I changed the construction to make the blocks by quarters so I would have more design options. Since these quilts are a combination of donated fabrics and my own, I will keep one and donate the other two.
Actually, it's the design floor today. I spent all day Saturday and half of Sunday putting my Easy Street blocks together. Then I made a quick trip to the LQS for border fabric. I'm doing a small orange border then a larger blue-violet border. My daughter talked me into showing this at the county fair this summer so I have to get it done. For more design walls, check out Judy's blog, www.patchworktimes.com.
So I'm a day late. Better late than never! I didn't get very far on Easy Street at the retreat and it was the only thing I worked on. I do have all the blocks made and I only have to lay it out and sew the rows together. I'm thinking of a narrow orange border and a wider purple border. I will have to buy fabric as I don't have any pieces in my stash that are big enough.
coming to you from the Ranch Hands Retreat! I almost forgot it was Monday. I'm making Bonnie Hunter's latest mystery, Easy Street. I got the centers of all the blocks done, a small pile of four patches and cut up the purple geese. Tomorrow I will work on the piecing the geese and adding the outside edges of the blocks. Then on to the setting triangles and if all goes well, I will have the blocks set together before we leave for home on Thursday. Hopefully I have enough purple yardage at home for the borders.